Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects' adaptive reuse project of a three-building complex — including the Woolworth five-and-dime store and Reeds Millinery (more recently Weinbrom Jewelers/Metropolis nightclub) — on the unit block of West Market Street in downtown York is well underway.
While the F&W Grand Co. Store (more recently the Police Heritage Museum) re-opened as the Timeline Arcade in April 2016, work continues on the other two buildings.
Here's a sneak peek inside the F.W. Woolworth Department Store at 44-50 West Market Street. All photos were taken by M&D Architect Patrick Ness.
The redevelopment project is led by Royal Square Development.
It will transform empty and underutilized existing spaces and add new construction to create contemporary loft apartments, commercial spaces and a new restaurant.
Two floors of newly constructed loft units will overlook West Market Street, while three levels of the new lofts will be oriented around a new 35’ x 100’ outdoor courtyard, complete with seating areas and fire pits.
The restoration and repair work includes leaded glass transoms, structural glass panels, wood windows, projected bay display windows, limestone, brick, and painted metal balustrades.
The exterior facade will also incorporate new historically-based sign bands, including the signature “Woolworth red” at its former location.
The building is among the oldest structures on Market Street and one of the few remaining examples of the larger, Colonial Revival buildings that lined York in the 1800’s, according to Royal Square.
Like what you see? like us on Facebook!
"Resting upon the grave of Philip Livingston, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, the Woolworth building was opened as F.W. Woolworth Co. in 1913. At what was the center of the community’s retail marketing area, the store secured York’s entry into the world of 'Five and Dime' stores- a staple in an era when a nickel or dime would go far." (RSDC)