ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNER POSITION
Who We Are
Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects was originally launched in 1985 with an integrated approach to architecture, planning and interior design. Over the years, our studio has grown to include a staff of 21 architects, interior designers, and support staff. Our team of seasoned professionals and emerging talent brings optimism, energy, and imagination to each project.
What We Do
We really enjoy what we do – working with each other – and with a diverse group of returning and new clients on an array of exciting, unique and interesting commissions – studies, master plans, space/programming plans, FF&E packages, renovations, new construction, adaptive reuse, and historic preservation – for colleges/universities, K-12 school districts, local/state governments, commercial businesses, faith-based institutions, libraries, and recreational facilities like fitness centers, performing arts centers, skate parks, and museums – as well as many other types of projects.
What We Value
Our goal is to develop the best and most innovative design that reflects the needs and style of our clients, while creating spaces that make a positive contribution to the human experience. We consider how people enter and move through a building, the processes they need to carry out within its walls, environmentally responsible practices, and how we can coalesce those processes to enhance the experience for all.
How We Rate
Others appreciate our work, too – we’ve been recognized with over 205 design awards. While awards are just one measure of success, they are an indication of the intensity and high professional standards with which M&D approaches each project. Our designs are beautiful, convenient, enduring, safe – and inspiring.
Where We Are
Our practice centers around the Mid-Atlantic Region, operating from offices located in Baltimore, Maryland and York, Pennsylvania.
How You Fit In
As a firm receiving the Fostering Emerging Professionals AIA Award for the past several years, we have a rare opening to join our studio in the role of Architectural Designer, working in our Baltimore, Maryland office. Qualified candidates will have:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture and a passion for design
· 3-5 years of experience (preferred)
· Strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills
· Ability to work well in a team setting to meet deadlines
· Intrinsic motivation coupled with good organization problem-solving skills
· Proficiency in CAD, Revit, Sketchup, and other graphic/animation presentation platforms such as Illustrator, Photoshop. InDesign, Power Point, etc.
What You’d Do
At M&D, our firm is just the right size for all staff to have opportunities with daily collaboration with firm Principals and Senior Architects. If you have design thoughts and ideas, they will be heard – and even implemented!
Architectural Designers are provided with well-rounded exposure to all that the field of Architecture encompasses:
· Developing creative and innovative solutions to assigned tasks
· Undertaking appropriate product/system research
· Completing site survey and field verification activities
· Actively collaborating with internal project teams and external consultants
· Providing input and demonstrating design aptitude for Planning/Conceptual/Schematic Design options
· Developing 3-D renderings and animations
· Contributing to the production of design documents and development of detailed and fully-coordinated construction documents
· Maintaining awareness of evolving design trends, building codes, technology and systems
· Actively pursuing architectural registration and LEED Certification
· Assisting with preparation of materials for marketing, client and owner presentations
This is a great opportunity to work with talented people in one of the area’s premier creative design environments. You can reach your full potential within a collaborative, balanced culture that encourages and supports professional development.
M&D staff enjoy:
· Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
· Flexible Work Schedule Options
· Paid Holidays & Vacation (including a week off between Christmas & New Year’s)
· Comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, vision and STD/LTD/Life/AD&D insurance
· Employer matched 401k
· Professional Registration/Continuing Education Assistance
· Paid Parking
Take the Next Step
Email your cover letter, resume, and portfolio (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration.